Saturday, March 1, 2008

D.E.S.

Thanks to the World Wide Web, and www.webmd.com...I have self diagnosed myself with Dry Eye Syndrome (DES). For those of you who would like a medical lesson today please read on:

(Info from webmd.com) Dry eye syndrome (DES) is a common disorder of the tear film, affecting a significant percentage of the population, especially those older than 40 years . The estimated number of people affected ranges from 10-14 million in the United States...

Dry Eye Syndrome Causes

DES is a common disorder of the normal tear film that results from one of the following:

  • Decreased tear production

  • Excessive tear evaporation

  • An abnormality in the production of mucus or lipids normally found in the tear layer
I think that my DES is caused by the decreased tear production. My eyes don't water to save my life. (Except when Steal Magnolias came on T.V...love that movie!)

How I figured it out:


  1. My new contacts started scratching me for a week straight
  2. I would wake up with both eyes looking like I had just smoked something my dare officer told me I shouldn't.
  3. My eyes would scratch when I was wearing glasses, and there was nothing in my eye.

I finally went to the eye Dr. He said that my eye cells were "angry"
...I didn't know they could do that.

Well aft
er weeks of prescription eye drops and some goop to put in my eyes at night, my eyes are still "angry".

My non medicated remedies:
  1. I run a humidifier until my whole room is wet, this is in attempt to get some moisture in the air.
  2. I wear my glasses at all times
  3. Today I have started Omega-3 pills...FISH PILLS! Nasty, but from what studies have shown, women who have more Omega-3 intake have lower chances of DES.
Any suggestions??????



No comments: