Friday, March 20, 2009

Modern Medicine

Did the ol' Glucose/Checking for Diabetes 'Cause I'm pregnant test....

What Happens During the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test?
(WebMD Answer):

The oral glucose tolerance test involves quickly drinking a sweetened liquid (called Glucola)...A blood sample will be taken from a vein in your arm about 60 minutes after drinking the solution. The blood test measures how the glucose solution was metabolized (processed by the body).


Okay so this Glucola....umm it's Orange Crush Soda...they just poured it in a bottle and put some Latin medical term and made it look like it was medically important so they could charge $80 for it.
They tell you to drink it within 5 min, so I think I did it in 2...Why you ask? Because I was thirsty... it was cold, it was carbonated, it was refreshing....I offered some to The Brenton, but he didn't think it was a good idea.

I impressed the girl in the waiting room that I downed it so fast.....I told her it was because of my old drinking days


(Mom and Mama Jeana....it was a joke, there are no drinking days, no matter what any crazy says! )
So 60 min later I am jabbed with a needle to draw blood...Twice!! I got the, "Oh your vein moved" explanation... I think she was a liar, but she was nice so we are friends!
The End

2 comments:

Mrs. Two Cents said...

That's good to know it's not awful stuff, so that I don't have to dread my test coming up next week.

Stephanie said...

I've heard of people who hurled at the sweetness of the glucola. I guess those are the same people who have never craved a spoonful of brown sugar.

Good luck to you!